Peach's Place

Monday, April 16, 2007

Granny & Papaw

My mom's parents were pretty good grandparents.
Papaw always had bikes for us to ride at his house, when we'd come to visit. He put one together for me and I rode that thing till the wheels fell off. My bike was really old, when I learned how to ride without training wheels, but it was a nice bike. It had the big curly handlebars.
Granny always was crocheting something. She made dresses for me, also. She was big into making Muppets dolls. She made my brothers Ernie & Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, etc. I think she did the whole collection of Sesame Street Muppets, and then some.
She always had dolls for me. I never got a Muppet.
Papaw would take us to the store to get donuts. He helped me start carving out my car for the Grand Prix at Awana one year.
Granny & Papaw didn't throw ANYTHING away. Milk jugs, soap bottles, q-tip tubes (after the cotton ends had been used and cut off, boxes, plastic anything, jelly jars, you name it, they saved it, and made use of it)
I remember watching Granny make a pair of booties for a new baby at church in no-time at all. She whipped those bad boys out like nobody's business.
I'm so glad I decided to learn that craft... sadly after she died. I think she would be really impressed with some of the stuff I've made.
Granny was always busy. Mom wasn't much of a gardener, but Granny weeded our whole flower bed on year. There was nothing left but dirt when she got done, I think.
Granny also got down on her hands and knees and got all the stuff out from under my bed with a hanger. I still laugh about that one.
I was not the "granddaughter" they had in mind, I think. I was supposed to wear big skirts with saddle oxfords with my hair down and be all prim and proper. I was the opposite. I wore blue jeans and pony tails and tennis shoes and I acted like a boy, except for when I was in a dress.
In my teenage years, I was quite sassy. Not in a disrespectful way, but I could pick at people and make them like it. Still can. I'm also quite sarcastic. This is a trait you HAVE to have to be a part of our family. If you can't take sarcasm, find someone else to hang out with.
One evening, after my grandparents had moved back close to us, I was LAYING on the floor of their living room, wearing shorts, with a pony tail. Uhm, not lady like. I know how to be modest in shorts, but still...
I said to Papaw, "Albert?" (Mom said she breathed in real deep and held it for fear the wrath of her Dad).
He said, "Yes?"
I said, "I think you and I have known each other long enough that we can be on a first-name basis."
(Mom was on the edge of her seat "what's he gonna do? Uh-oh Sarah, lookout!")
He said, "First name basis, huh?" and chuckled.
I'm the only one who could talk to him and Granny like that and get away with it.

I also used to tie Papaw's shoelaces together when he would fall asleep in his chair. Don't worry, he never got up to walk without first noticing something was amiss.

I miss Granny and Papaw. They got to meet Abby, but they were long gone by the time Phoebe came around and I know they would have just ate her up and Tucker, too. I'm sad they didn't get to meet all my kids (and future ones) while in their earthly life. But, I know they're singing and rejoicing with Jesus up in Heaven.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I think about that with Maude. She got to know Alex, but we found out we were pregnant with Thomas right after she died. She would have LOVED him and Eli.

Thomas will say her name, when he points at the picture we have of her and Mattie on their last birthday together.

April 18, 2007 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home