Peach's Place

Friday, April 13, 2007

The Carpenters & Bob Messenger

Do you know who The Carpenters are?
Then, you should know who Bob Messenger is. If you don't, go look at an old album. He's the flute player.
This dude can wail on the flute, like nobody's business. I wish I had the talent. Actually, I wish I had stuck with my flute playing. I could probably have the talent (or someone close) if I were to work at it a little. Not much time for flute playing between sewing, crocheting, knitting, cooking, cleaning, oh, and homeschooling AND taking care of my children. LOL We make time for the things important to us, and if that were all that important to me, you can guarantee I'd be doing it.
I digress.
I love the music of the Carpenters. I grew up with it, bc I had parents that loved The Carpenters. It's music that they dated to, so it was important to them. As long as I can remember, we've had some sort of Carpenters music around. 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, etc.
I love the Carpenters and every now and then, I need a "fix".
My fave song is "(they long to be) close to you". I also really like "we've only just begun" and many others.
"It's going to take some time" has a flute solo in it that just baffles my mind. How does Bob do that?
Also, they have their own rendition of Hank William's "Jambalaya" (son of a gun gonna have some fun, on the bayou). It is sort of strange hearing Karen Carpenter say "me-oh-my-oh". LOL But, I love their harmonies and there's also a flute solo in that one.
I recently purchased their collection called The Carpenters Gold. It has songs on it that I haven't heard from them, before. Like The Mamas & The Papas "California Dreamin'" Not one of my faves by The Carpenters.
Richard has a little explanation about every song on the two disc collection. Some of them are really insightful, others are confusing. But, I really enjoy the music more when I have a little more background to it.
His memories of his sister are wistful, and not without reason. It's like he wishes he had paid better attention and noticed she had a problem before it got out of hand. He regrets allowing the biopic movie to be made, as well. His story behind Mr. "Gouda" (did you know it is actually Mr. Guder) is also very funny.
Anyway, that is what I've been listening to lately and my kids are loving it, as well.
I don't quite understand the whole song, but I like the lyrics on "reason to believe"... someone like you makes it hard to live without somebody else, someone like you makes it easy to give... never think about myself...
Also, I really like the twangy country feel to "Sweet Sweet Smile" and "Top of the World". TOTW is one of my faves... I'm on the top of the world, lookin' down on creation and the only explanation I can find.. is the love that I've found ever since you've been around, your love puts me at the top of the world...
And, to top it all off, who can live without Kermit's "The Rainbow Connection". (I also REALLY LOVED the version of this song peformed by the Tone Rangers on the extras of the movie DVD "The Break-Up"... harmonies are out of this world).
The Carpenters is good music, but it wouldn't be good music, I think, without Bob Messenger's flute playing. :)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Jambalya? song is MINE cause my name is Michele-amino!
I like the Carpenters also. Karen had a beautiful voice......our Christmas station down here played some of her songs over and over again.
I didn't remember that you played the flute. I started lessons in 4th grade. The weirdest nerdiest teacher in the world taught me how to play. I guess I'm glad.

April 14, 2007 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody know whatever happened to Bob Messenger?

February 23, 2011 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob was actually thier bass player. He doubled on flute and sax. He lives in Southern California and still plays around town with a few local jazz bands.

December 10, 2011 10:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bobby is an old friend. He originally played saxophone in a band with my Mother in the sixties. My mom sang as Ruthi Scott in those days. Became ill and couldn't blow a horn anymore, switched to the bass. Great guy-taught me to play chess as a youngster in the sixties. Glad to hear he is still around.

August 28, 2013 10:01 PM  
Blogger Nicolas said...

What about the dude Ian Anderson with Bourée by Jethro Tull ?

November 26, 2021 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home