Peach's Place

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Being a Housewife

What is so great about being a housewife these days?
We often get bogged down with the day to day chores without realizing how great it is to be a stay-at-home wife/mom.
What can be more wonderful than staying home and cooking/cleaning for the one you love? Raising his children while he goes out into the workforce to provide for his family.
**It is our duty to see to it that the family doesn't starve. Not by being the bread-winner, but by being the bread-maker.
How often do we 'cheat' and feed the kids hotdogs and cheese for lunch, instead of taking the time to feed them a well-balanced meal at every mealtime? I know I do.
More often than not, we have PB&J, hot dogs, spaghetti-o's, or something equally lacking in nutrients. What message am I sending to my children by feeding them the same nutrient-less foods, each day. By feeding them enriched with vitamins (translation...the actual food has no nutrients, so they are artificially added) not really going to absorb into your body lunches...
Why don't we take the time to cook a full-on meal everytime it is time to sit together at the table? And why do I find myself taking my own food into the living room to sit in front of the TV or into the computer room.... instead of eating at the table with them. Teaching them manners, not to throw food, not to put it on the floor and then eat it (bc we all know food tastes better with a little dirt on it).
I really don't know what I'm getting at here. I've strayed from my original topic.
My point is this... I need, we need, to feed our kids more nutritious meals and to take the time to sit down and eat with them. All that other stuff is junk, and it is the reason why a great percentage of children are overweight now days.
I know I don't want to contribute to that. I have my own weight to carry without adding to theirs.
**Another one of our duties as a SAHM is to make sure the house is clean. Put things in their place. Don't shove it into a corner or drawer until you 'get around to it'. You're never going to get around to it. If it takes only a few seconds to actually put it where it goes, then go ahead and do it. Don't put it off, bc you're only hurting yourself.
We also need to be teaching our children how to put things in their proper place. Don't let them get all the toys out at once. Let them play with one thing at a time. When they are done with that, they put it back and on to the next item. There's no need to trash an entire room with toys, just bc they can.
How young are we starting our kids out with helping with the chores? I only recently started having my 5 year old help out. Why? Because I didn't think she would do a good enough job... or I just didn't trust her to do a job that she is perfectly capable of handling. You have to let go of your 'neat freak' tendencies and let them learn how to clean on their own. Yes, it is ok to show them a better way, the right way, or help them fix it when they mess up. But we have to let them learn on their own. How else will they know?
So, now, not only do I have my 5yo doing chores, but also the 2yo. A 2yo is perfectly capable of folding a bath towel and wash cloths. They see how we do it and copy it. "Monkey see, Monkey do" There's meaning behind this madness.
I have crayon marks all over my walls from not watching my 2yo when she colors. How hard is it going to be for me to get that off? Not hard at all. Even more easy if I let her do it. Mr.Clean will wipe crayon off a wall with little to no effort.
**What are we teaching our kids when we sit in front of the computer all day, or sitting on the couch like a potato??? I can't count the number of days I have wasted away by sitting in front of the computer and/or TV. Why do we let these 'magic' boxes suck us in? Where is our self-control?


You're asking me now, what does this have to do with your husband?? Well, it has a lot to do with him.
I am the mother to his children. I am his helpmeet. And, if I'm not doing a proper job at home, then I might as well put on a suit and tie and go out and get myself a job and let him be the one to stay at home with the kids. It's easy to sit around all day, cook a 'last minute' meal and quickly pick up before he makes it inside the door from his car. Any idiot can do that. But, I'm an intelligent human being who is more capable of doing a better job on a healthier meal and a cleaner house.

I'm preaching to myself here. I haven't told you anthing you don't already know. This is mainly me telling myself to get off my duff and get some work done. So, off I go to do a better job at 'the greatest job in the world!'

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to think that all the secrets of the universe await us in a can of spaghetti o's. Not really, but I felt like I had to defend the spaghetti o's. They're good. I had nothing else to back it up. LOL

January 31, 2006 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home